Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Subcultures Pt. 1 – Our Individuality Unifies Us - July 2, 2019

Subcultures Pt. 1 – Our Individuality Unifies Us
By, Michael Earnshaw
July 2, 2019 
@mearnshaw158

Related image

I love music! If my foot starts tapping to the beat, my head starts resembling a bobble-head on a windy day, that song will have a place in my heart. It doesn’t matter if it is “punk” according the Punk Rock Police or music industry. If it’s good music I'm going to embrace it! I’ll never forget the first time I listened to The Blue Meanies live album.  Being from Chicago I had seen them numerous times and they never disappointed. In between tracks on this CD, their singer, Billy Spunke, stated something I had never heard him say live.  
“We’re not your typical ska-punk, punk-ska band. What we play is...MUSIC!”  
Then the frantic live energy they were known for kicked in full blast. My head began nodding, not because they were now barreling through one of my favorite tunes of theirs at breakneck speed, but because they challenged the industry by not placing a label on themselves. 
Unfortunately, media, and many individuals, feel the need to categorize everything. Take the genre of punk rock. There are so many subgenres that have been created; hardcore, ska-punk, metal-tinged punk, skate punk, softcore, emo, screamo, post-punk, horror-punk, post-hardcore, ska-core, crust punk, pop punk, political punk, blah, blah, blah. I love bands from all these categories, to me it’s all music. If it speaks to me, if it gets me moving and thinking, it’s good in my book, no matter what subgenre or label someone feels they need to stamp on it.  
I couldn’t wait for the summer at the Warped Tour (thanks Blink 182!). This festival took big bands that were getting radio airplay and filling stadiums to those that were selling demo tapes out of their backpacks. There were multiple stages, scattered, yet strategically placed throughout a parking lot with every genre of music available to bless one's ears with. There were demonstrations from skateboarders, BMXers, motocross, magicians and any other status quo challenging group one could imagine. This festival united and brought everyone together. All of us attending could be ourselves, showcase and embrace our strengths, appreciate those of others, and learn something.   
If you’re a classroom teacher look at your students, if you’re an administrator, look at those you lead. Are they all cut from the same mold? Are you only going to teach, inspire, and motivate those that are like you, that have the same interests? (At this point I'm closing my eyes and speaking to whatever Higher Power you believe in, asking that everyone who is reading this answers with a, “No.” If you answered “Yes,” it’s time to start looking for another career.)  
Our classrooms and schools are filled with individuals from different backgrounds, traditions, and beliefs. As educators, we must embrace, teach, motivate, inspire, and build relationships with them all. There is true beauty in having a mixture of differences surrounding us. Every time I left the Warped Tour I left with a few new favorite bands, all from different subgenres of punk, or metal, or hip hop. Scratch that last sentence. I left with a few new favorite bands that played music. Walk around your classroom and school, like I did when exploring the multitude of stages set up, and learn something. Get to know what is going on. Truly listen to what is being said. Keep an open mind and watch your world unfold to something you never dreamed possible!  
I had some acquaintances that were strictly “old school punk”. Anytime I tried to turn them onto a new record they wouldn’t even give it the time of day if it wasn’t labeled “old school”. I never understood why they would want to limit themselves to some amazing music being created. Closing yourself inside of a box leaves no room for growth.  
Take a look around baby (thanks Transplants!), there is so much knowledge, greatness, and individuality to learn from those filling our classrooms and schools. Don’t limit yourself. Don’t Krazy Glue yourself to one point of view, holding one dimensional thinking. Embrace all, listen to all, and love all. I guarantee you will live a much happier, and meaningful, life.  

1 comment: