Thursday, October 4, 2018

A Child's Dream

A Child’s Dream 
October 2, 2018 
Michael Earnshaw
@mearnshaw158

Punk rock Cartoon Royalty-free Clip art - Punk Cliparts

Childhood dreams are precisely that…dreams. Without giving any realistic parameters, ask any youth what they want to be when they grow up and you’ll get enough athletes to begin new leagues and divisions in every sport, enough movie stars that the Hollywood Blvd. could wrap around the world numerous times, enough doctors that disease would be nonexistent, and police and firefighters that crime would be null and everyone’s lives would never be in danger. This is what makes us smile at the dreams our kids have.  

As we get older most begin to realize that their dreams were great as they were kids, another fantasy world that filled their days when they faced minimal adult responsibilities. We understand that we must now support not only us, but significant others we choose to spend our time with and if we’re blessed, children of our own. Due to this many of us settle on noble careers, but they don’t bring the fame and fortune that we envisioned as a youngster.  

Ever since my first concert, Pantera, Sepultura, & Biohazard, I wanted to be a Rockstar! Throughout my high school years and 20’s, I was at a punk rock show pretty much every weekend. Some were big venues; others small intimate clubs like Off the Alley or the Fireside Bowl. The feeling I got while dancing in the pit or skanking to a great ska band took me to another place. All of my doubts, stress, and depression were gone, and I was transported to another world. I connected with these bands and their messages, and I wanted nothing more than to be able to have others have their problems melt away with my messages.  

This continues to this day. While I’m training for a marathon or attempting a PR in the gym, I’ve got music on, and yes, it’s still punk rock, death metal, or ska. It takes me to another place where all the clutter is sorted out. I can focus on the task at hand. Unfortunately, I never took up an instrument or got a band going, so I am finally realizing that my dream is another childhood fantasy that will evaporate like so many others’.  

came to a realization while driving home from school one day. I realized my Rockstar dreams have come true! I am not on a stage performing for disgruntled, confused adolescents nightly. No, my stage is a different one. My stage is our school. My bandmates are the fantastic staff at Oak Glen. My audience is our families and students.  

Each day we walk out on stage we must be on 110%! Our fans have paid for our performance. They are expecting greatness, they are expecting to be taken to that magical place I experienced while singing along to my favorite punk bands, and still do.  

I know that I’m accomplishing this each and every day when I see the smiles on my staff, students, and parents. Giving them high-fives and fist bumps every time I pass by, praising their hard work and efforts reminds them that I am here for them. I’ll get comments from students now saying they want to be a principal or teacher when they grow up. They are seeing the difference we can make. I can’t do this alone, I’ve got my band with me. Everyday we’re rocking out for our students at Oak Glen. What tune are you singing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment