Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Baggage Claim

Baggage Claim 
December 10, 2018
Michael Earnshaw
@mearnshaw158

Related image

Curbside baggage check is phenomenal! It’s such a great feeling to get dropped off at the airport, walk about 10 feet, not even breaking the airport’s threshold, and free yourself from the heavy bags containing everything that’s going to make you look your runway best during a getaway or business trip. Airports have this service because they know that prior to our flight we should be at our gate with time to spare, getting comfortable. Dragging these bulky, heavy suitcases around would be like driving with the parking brake on, slowly inching towards our destination.  

This is why many, if not all employers, tell their employees, “Check your baggage at the door before coming into work.” Of course, we do our best, checking our main suitcases before parading through the doors, but there’s always a small carry-on we’re allowed to bring. The carry-on is great, it’s got some necessities we need and those items that are going to either expand our minds, or at least distort them for a little while. We’re all human, and no matter what our role is, we’ll more than likely always have a carry-on item when entering work.  

This blog isn’t going to be about checking our baggage before beginning the day of a motivator for our students. Many of us do this and have no issues with it, especially if we are all in for our kids every day. What I want to examine is why it’s crucial to check our baggage on that flight home, when returning to family and friends after a trying day at school. My reasoning for investigating the benefits of checking luggage for the flight home is because it is one that I am struggling with greatly this year.  

Being educators, we hear, see, and encounter stories that are unfathomable. We deal with unrealistic mandates from up above that seem to make our jobs feel like we were set up to fail. The walls that parents put up, questioning what we do, can make the strongest educator question their longevity in our noble profession. The return baggage is always heavier than when you first left for your trip (especially if you have kids and get them some souvenirs!).  

We must, without a doubt, check this returning flight baggage. I have not been doing that this year. I have been bringing it with me, and it is not only affecting me, but the people I love the most; my wife, my son, and my daughter. I’ve been shorter with them, distant, and inattentive at times. This isn’t fair to them. They need me, just as much, if not more, than my staff, students, and parents at school. This isn’t daily, and has only really been the last few weeks, but carrying that baggage home with me once is too much. I have been giving my all for my students, staff, and parents. Now it’s time to ensure the loves of my life are still getting 110% of me 

Being in the field of education we carry many roles. We have many, many individuals counting on us daily, both at home and in our classrooms. A great resource is Balance Like a Pirate by Jessica Cabeen, Jessica Johnson, and Sarah Johnson. It has great strategies to help find that balance. I also recommend checking out the #BalanceLAP group on Twitter. It’s a great support to remind you that you’re not alone.  

Please make sure that you are not limiting what someone is getting from you. Your students deserve all of you, your family deserves all of you, and YOU deserve all of you. It is important to find that balance where you are giving your all for everyone, including yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment