Tuesday, November 27, 2018

RPM & Watts

RPM & Watts
November 27, 2018 
By, Michael Earnshaw
@mearnshaw158

Image result for cartoon spin bike

Comfort zones are a tricky thing. I’m sure you’re aware of what your comfort zone is. If not, it’s that thing inside that keeps you from taking a risk, trying something new, making yourself look like a fool. We’ve all got one. Some of ours cover a bigger proximity than others, but we all have one. The funny joke that comfort zones like to play with us is that they continually grow and expand. The more we push ourselves out of ours, the more ground it covers. I’ve been stressing to our staff this year that each day they should do one thing that takes them out of their zone, whether it be professional or personal, doesn’t matter. Last night I began reflecting on my comfort zones when a light bulb ignited and I realized I haven’t been practicing what I preach.  

This past school year started off on fire! I was motivating, encouraging, leading our great school like I never have before. Mobile desk, visibility in the halls, all day every day, skateboarding everywhere. Then this continued. Quarter 1 flew by with me doing this every day. Halfway through Quarter 2 and I am still doing the same thing. It’s somewhat losing its effect. My mobile desk, skateboarding, and visibility has become the norm. What started as challenging the status quo has now become the status quo for me and our building. This doesn’t digest well with me. How’d I flick this light switch to realize it? By getting out of my comfort zone on a personal level.  

Fitness has always fascinated me. The dedication, the physical and mental challenges and changes they bring forth are all so inspiring. I’ve been an avid runner since grade school. After college I got into weight lifting. I’ve always shown some gains and progress, but I have never had the strict dedication to make a difference. This is especially true with my inconsistent diet. But that’s a topic for another post. My running and lifting regimen have stayed stagnant for awhile. I’m not seeming to gain any traction or ground towards the goals I want for myself. I’m not getting out of that comfort zone I’ve established years ago when I began working out. Until last night.  

My wife has been taking spin classes for a little over a year now. She’s been a runner, practiced yoga, and has now found a love for pedaling a stationary bike in a dark room with colorful lights and music pumping like the club while an instructor in yoga pants, tank top, and bandana yell instructions like, “Get up! Hover! You can push harder!” I think you get the drill. My wife’s been telling me to take a class for some time now. My response, “Nope. I’m good with running. I’ll go lift some heavy things.” Last night it was too snowy and icy to run outside, I didn’t feel like driving to the gym and follow my usual routine, and I was in no mood to pull out the treadmill. “Why don’t you try spin tonight? There’s a class at 7,” my wife responded. After a lot of contemplation and scouring my brain for excuses I caved. I threw on some workout gear, got a bottle of water ready, and drove over to my first, FREE, spin class.  

It was just like in the movies! A dark room lit with colorful strobe lights and mirrors opposite the bikes with motivational quotes written on them in fancy paints. Dance music playing. Excited pedal pushers ready to get their sweat on. Then little old scared me, not knowing what I got myself into. I felt like that freshman entering high school for the first day, surrounded by upperclassmen that knew what was going on. It was a small class, only 6 of us, which I thought would make it less intimidating until I realized the less people the bigger your output info was on the display monitors. Class begins, Rhianna is blaring (which was ok, I secretly dig Rhianna), and 7 minutes in I'm out of breath. Then we cool down, next circuit begins, and I'm second guessing this decision. I start thinking of all the other things I could have been doing tonight and after the math, I came to the conclusion this would be my first, and last spin class.  

I’m glad I did it, I did feel accomplished and proud of myself for completing it. It’s then I began reflecting on how I have not been getting out of my comfort zone in any aspect of my life, even though I encourage those around me to do this daily. I began writing a recipe on how I can spice up my professional practices, getting out of the comfort zone that I stretched a little after the beginning of this school year. I came to school today, sprinkled a few of those new ingredients and have felt amazing! The oven is back on and ready to go! I’ve even gotten comments from a few staff, noticing the change.  

It’s important to know your comfort zones, but it’s even more important to self-reflect on them and keep stepping out of them no matter how large they grow. As they grow, and you push them, YOU will grow. That is a secret to happiness and success. Today I challenge you to acknowledge your comfort zone, both personally and professionally, and devise a plan to step out of it...daily.  

By the way, my spin experience was not a one and done. I purchased a 10 class package!  It’s time for me to get back to changing the game, breaking the mold, and challenging the status quo everyday 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.  Träningscykel inomhus

    ReplyDelete