Tuesday, January 8, 2019

BELIEVE 
One Word for 2019 
January 8, 2019 
By, Michael Earnshaw 
@mearnshaw158 

Image result for believe

As I reflected on my life during the year of 2018, both personally and professionally, I came to the conclusion that many of the goals and resolutions I set did not happen...again. In fact, if there were a GPS or Waze app for my year, I was completely off course. This doesn’t sit with me well. I had so many good intentions, like so many of us have, but once the year gets rolling it is much easier to do what we want rather than putting forth the discipline of what we need to do. I began telling myself these last few weeks of December that I would set much more attainable goals. I began writing out my system of how to reach them when, in the back of my head, I started to hear that voice whispering, “2019 will be just like every other.” Frustration set in and I became discouraged before 2018 was laid to rest and 2019 emerged.  

Then I had somewhat of an epiphany. I saw many educators on Twitter tweeting how they were not setting resolutions or goals, but rather one word to live by. That’s it, one simple word. This idea resonated with me. I like simplicity and trying new things, so I thought, “Why not ditch setting resolutions and go with one word to live by?” I thought what word could motivate me for an entire year? What word can make a difference in my life for the positive? What word would have the power to not only change my life, but those that I am with every day?  

The answer was easy. Once I began writing my previous blog about my 10-year-old son with special needs and how he still holds onto a magical belief, it hit me like that soreness that many of us experience the first few weeks of January when we begin our new workout routine. My word for 2019 is BELIEVE. 

I shared this with a friend, and they asked if I chose it because I believe anything is possible? In short, yes. Last year I had many doubts when it came to a lot of aspects of my life. This year, no matter what I am facing, I am going to BELIEVE that there is a reason for it, there is positive in it, that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. Whenever I begin to question something, whether the plan of action I've taken is worth it or making a difference, I quit that thinking and turn it into an I BELIEVE statement. Here are just a few:  

I BELIEVE that the methods I’ve taken with my leadership style are making a difference and changing the game.  

 I BELIEVE that all students can learn and show growth.  

I BELIEVE our staff is going to bring the greatest, engaging, memorable lessons to our students.

I BELIEVE our students yearn to be loved and want nothing more than to have strong, lasting relationships with us.  

I BELIEVE I am a strong, loving father for my children.  

I BELIEVE I am the most caring, thoughtful, and loving husband my beautiful wife deserves.  

I BELIEVE I can turn my 38 years of a “cheat meal” into a healthy lifestyle.  

I BELIEVE I will run a 3:45 marathon.  

The funny thing about these I BELIEVE statements, once I say them to myself after self-doubt slowly begins creeping in to fog my mind and heart, I put action behind them. The action isn’t a plan I’ve laid out in advance, but rather just a natural flow as I know what I need to do. It’s only been 7 days into 2019, but I can say that I have felt more positive, both mentally and physically, by living my life for one word rather than lofty goals and resolutions.  

I BELIEVE 2019 will be my best year. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to 2019. And, I say that knowing that "luck" has little to do with it.

    I especially like the image at the top. One of my goals for 2019 is to be better at chess. I am still wrestling with "Believing" it, though. I'll have to work on that.

    Great post! Encouraging and Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete