Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Popeye was Plant Powered - 5/29/19

Popeye was a Plant Powered 
By, Michael Earnshaw 
May 29, 2019 
@mearnshaw158 

Image result for popeye

This morning I participated in my first #RunandRant. During my 6 miler I pondered this week’s question, “What is strength?” I finished my run, bathed in sweat, and punched “Record” on my phone. I filmed myself ranting for 40 seconds on what strength means to me. The question is still lingering in my brain and I figured why not go into a little more detail, a written rant.  

Strength to me has nothing to do about being physically strong. I’ve met many people who can run faster and farther than me, squat, deadlift, and bench more, but they are some of the weakest people I've come across. True strength is found in the mind and heart. How we hold ourselves, how we present ourselves, and how we treat others show how truly strong we are.  

I’ve been working on a multi-blog post about the differences between dreams vs. goals. Everyone has dreams, but not everyone takes the next step and transforms those dreams into goals. The strongest individuals are those that set goals. They see what they want for their lives, what is going to better themselves, and create a plan of action to get there. Not every goal is reached with the first attempt, or second for that matter. Those with strength learn from their failures, stand back up, pick up their chin, and go after it again and again and again. Once their goal is finally met, they evaluate and set another.  

True strength is also found by how we treat others. In society today, so many are self-absorbed in their own world and will lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want. Just scroll through any social media site and you will be inundated with many individuals looking out for only themselves and how others perceive this lavish, luxurious life they lead. This portrayal just shows their true weakness and insecurities. I want to follow those that not only are goal setters, but also know that once they take care of themselves they are here to serve others. We all have differences of opinions and beliefs. That does not make anyone better than the next. The strongest live to serve others, to help them in need, to encourage and motivate them, to have their back and pick them up when they fall. The strongest individuals see the good in others and display appreciation, kindness, and empathy.  

Lastly, strength comes when challenging the status quo and never accepting mediocrity. It is so easy to follow the herd and not follow through on what you know is right when nobody is standing by your side. Speak your voice, stand up for the less fortunate, and fight for what you know is the right thing to do even if you’re alone. I’d rather live my life knowing I stood for what I believed in my heart, what was for the good of others and this world, than following lemmings off a cliff.  

There you have it, my extended version of this morning’s #RunandRant. True strength comes from first taking care of yourself mentally, physically, & spiritually. It’s then followed by how we help others find their true strength. Finally, listening to your heart and following through on what you know will benefit our world. Take care of yourself, others, and this world and experience the beauty available.  

No comments:

Post a Comment