Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Cutting Lines - December 17, 2019

Cutting Lines
By, Michael Earnshaw
December 17, 2019
@mearnshaw158

Image result for carnival rides

Ever since my son could begin traversing our earth by his own two feet, we have made it a family tradition to visit the Winter Wonderfest held at Navy Pier. We’ve always loved spending time together, observing the various trees, and enjoying thrills and smiles on the attractions. My kids have now reached the age, and height, where they can enjoy every attraction! Tilt-A-Whirl, Hanggliders, Rock Walls, and even ice skating are what we get to do together, as a family. 

I’m a big believer in teachable moments. There are always opportunities that as parents we can teach our students about life. We can teach them about how to make good choices, spread kindness, and display empathy to others. Here’s a past blog I wrote about teaching my daughter about kindness.

Today was our annual trip to the Winter Wonderfest. We were already downtown for a doctor’s appointment for my son, so we decided to take the entire day and go early as a family, hoping to avoid the crowds. It wasn’t too bad, there were a few field trips, but it was mostly families with young kids. This left the “big” rides pretty open, usually only needing to wait a turn or two during the first hour and a half. 

After about two hours had passed in this man-made magical wonderland, crowds were now forming. Ride waits were now hitting the three to four turn rotation. Especially for “The Windchill”. “The Windchill” is the ride were thrill seekers sit in a row. The seat is attached to what resembles a large clock arm. The arm begins swinging upwards clockwise and then back counterclockwise. Eventually it will pick up enough momentum to make a complete 360 degree rotation. This rotation happens in the same direction roughly three times before beginning in the opposite direction for another three rotations again. 

My daughter was done and decided she was going to sit with mom while my son and I rode one last time. We patiently waited through four ride rotations. We were finally next, with only three young riders ahead of us and many behind. 

“Just go on through. Go under the chain. Stand right there.” were directions being given by someone standing in my vicinity. 

Before I could turn to see who was speaking these declarative sentences, there was a kid, no more than five years old, slowing going underneath the white plastic chain that creates a waiting line for the riders. This child would stick his legs under, then duck to push his head to our side, but then retreat. 

“Go on, just go up there!” was the next command given. 

I watched, confused by what was happening, and before my mind could process this scenario, he was right behind me, his small toes pushing through the soles of his shoes to hug my heel. The ride engineer opened the gate to let us in. This kid now tried to rush past my son. I put out my arm and said, “No, we’re first.” For my son, who has severe ADHD, to wait as long as he did, no one was going to take his end seat or get on before him that didn’t wait. 

This kid got on the same ride rotation as us. I enjoyed my ride with my son, hearing his laughter and seeing his smile, arms up, holding onto nothing the entire time. 

After we got off and reunited with my wife and daughter my mind began working. 

How can we, as educators, compete with the teachable moments that parents are providing to their kids?

Many parents are doing an amazing job despite the demands and responsibilities they are faced with. But unfortunately, there are some that will teach their child to cut to the front of the line, despite everything they learn from us in school. 

Do we just throw our hands up and not even take on that fight? No, absolutely not. We must continue to teach our expectations not only for school, but for life every chance we get with our students. We can only hope that our lessons will have a lasting impact and when our students are parents themselves, they will teach the right lesson to their children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment