Wednesday, January 8, 2020

WATER - #OneWord202 - January 7, 2020

WATER
#OneWord2020
January 7, 2020
By, Michael Earnshaw
@mearnshaw158



In 2019, I chose to forgo resolutions and instead live by the #oneword phenomenon. I was excited about this new approach, but a little apprehensive. How could just one word bring me a fulfilled, joyful, 365 days? 

Throughout the last few weeks of 2018, I contemplated and pondered what #oneword I would hold in my heart throughout my relationship with 2019. This was an elephant sized decision for me, and I didn’t want to pick a word that wasn’t meaningful or brought unattainable goals. It wasn’t until January 8, 2019 that I had my #oneword2019.

The word that I lived by this past year was BELIEVE. Click the word to read it if you haven’t yet. 

I truly BELIEVED that my #oneword2020 would come much easier to me this year. It was now the second time I’d choose to live by #oneword, which basically makes me a semi-pro. To my unbelieving surprise, it was not any easier. In fact, #oneword2020 was much more difficult than I ever would have BELIEVED. 

For 2020, I wanted to choose a word that built off of 2019’s. 2019 was one of my best years professionally and personally. Dreams and goals that I have had since I was a young punk rocker, waxing up parking blocks at the corner bank after hours, grinding, railing, and blunt sliding over that block with our skateboards for hours on end Friday nights. I lived 2019 BELIEVING that I was going to break out of my comfort zone and make an impact in the world. I’m pleased to say that this has happened, but it’s only just the beginning.

WATER. This is my #oneword2020. I chose this word because I simply can’t just BELIEVE what I want to happen anymore. That part is over. Those dreams, those goals, have already begun to blossom. The seeds were planted in 2019. Now it’s time to feed them to watch them grow for years to come. 

WATER brings life. Seeds are planted. Trees, plants, flowers, crops, all need water to bloom into their full potential. Writing, podcasting, speaking are all seeds that begun in 2019. I BELIEVED I could do those, and do those I have very well. Now is the time to WATER those seeds, and witness them expand further, touch more educators than I ever imagined possible. 

WATER is strength. WATER can cut through rock. It can carry the heaviest of semi-trucks like they are weightless. I need to be the strength for my family. I need to advocate for my son, who has special needs. I need to be the protector of my daughter, to guide her to choose the right man that will treat her like the princess she is. I must be strong for my wife, carrying my weight and more so she is not overburdened with carrying our family.

WATER is persistent. It will continually flow if we allow it to. I cannot stop feeding my dreams and goals. I must not build a dam or turn the faucet to “off” when it comes to what I must accomplish personally, familial, and professionally. 

WATER takes on many forms. When the temperature drops, WATER transforms to ice. Heat and we have gas. Depending on the situation it is put in, WATER adapts. I must begin to more fluidly adapt to my situations. I cannot take the same approach with every individual and every conversation I enter. There will be fun situations and conversations as well as ones that are uncomfortable and difficult. To be the leader our staff and students deserve, and more importantly, the husband and father my family deserves, I must adapt and approach each season with the proper form. 

WATER is a symbol of health, of wellness. We must consume it daily to survive. It cleanses our bodies, both internally and externally. I must take my health seriously. I’m turning 40 this year. Long gone are the days when I can eat whatever I want and still think I can perform at a highly efficient level while running marathons, attempting a PR lift in the gym, leading and serving my staff and students, or just being an active dad and husband. It’s time to consume WATER to fuel my drive to reach my goals. 

I’m ecstatic for 2020. I know in every being of my body it is going to make those dreams I haven’t even had yet come true! My body is tingling with excitement just imaging what is to come! 

Or, it may be the 120 oz. of WATER I’ve consumed today. 

2 comments:

  1. A+MAZING!!! I began reading this with intrigue; Water--"How is that going to be a OneWord for the year?"
    I ended by thinking, "How could it not?!" I wasn't even thinking of water as a verb! Then you hit me with using it for all its meanings. Why not? Why limit ourselves?
    Picking up a Mack truck, cutting through rock, and giving life-sustenance to a tiny sprout, water is so vital and powerful! Now, I'm envious of you and your word, Mike. Ha ha. Thanks so much for, first "believing", and now, "watering those seeds".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Matt, this really means a lot & that was what I was going for.

    ReplyDelete