Thursday, April 11, 2019

Don't Let your Passions Swim with Concrete Boots - April 11, 2019

Don’t Let your Passion Swim with Concrete Boots 
By, Michael Earnshaw 
April 11, 2019 
@mearnshaw158 

Image result for fire on water

It was a beautiful afternoon. The sun was shining down our students and staff as they exited our den for dismissal. Some hopped in daycare vans, others skipped towards the community with their comrades, while others ran to their parents with open arms and mile wide smiles. I was strolling through our school parking lot, passing all the busses and burning my nasal cavity by inhaling their exhaust fumes. I didn’t mind, this day was perfect and the blessing from Mother Nature was icing on the gluten free, vegan cake. As I was strolling to the end of the bus line a student stopped me. They looked at me, shot their chin in the air, and said, “Mr. E., what happened to your passion?” I replied with a confused look at responded, “What are you talking about? I’m bringing my passion to school every day!” “Nah, I feel your passion is all spent!”  

I jumped up, confused and not knowing where I was or what was going on. I checked my watch, 1:43. It was a dream, a nightmare more like it. I didn’t even get to catch the end of the movie playing in my mind. What was my response going to be? What would I have said to explain? Honestly, I feel that’s why I awoke. I have been given the opportunity to reflect and see where my passion stands. Is it as strong as the beginning of the year? Has it fizzled down? Am I still getting out of my comfort zone, pushing boundaries, doing what’s best for kids, all while challenging the status quo of education?  

After thinking this over on my morning run, I can confidently say, “Yes.” Is there room for improvement? Of course, there always is. None of us are perfect. We still have 38 days left of this school year (I don’t do countdowns and had to go to a calendar to count) to make a difference, to change students’ lives. I still have many tricks up my sleeve, opportunities for self- growth and the success of those I lead. I’m far from done and this dream has awoken my understanding for keeping the fire of passion burning each day.  

This is an extremely tiring time of the school year for educators and students. State testing, limited breaks, routines thrown off due to end of the year activities. We cannot let our passion simmer. We cannot get dulled down and just go through the motions of the job. Our kids don’t deserve that. Every day is game day. Our students are always watching and know when our hearts aren’t in it. It’s not fair to them. Get some logs on your fire and finish this year strong until that last student steps out of view at dismissal on the final day of school. After that, after knowing you gave your all every day for students, sleep like a baby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment