Monday, April 29, 2019

Little Mac Just Wanted a Dancing Partner in the Squared Circle - 4/29/19

Little Mac Just Wanted a Dancing Partner in the Squared Circle 
By, Michael Earnshaw 
April 29, 2019 
@mearnshaw158 

Image result for little mac

Yesterday I was blessed and got to spend some quality time with my son in our Man Cave. My wife was working, as she does every Sunday, and my daughter was invited for a play date at one of her best friend’s homes. This left just me and my son together. Our time started as individuals, he was playing his Nintendo Switch while I straightened up, did laundry, and put together our new patio table. He would continually come and find me and excitedly ask, “Dad, when can we go into the Man Cave?” 

After I completed my chores, I rummaged through his backpack and found some weekend homework he had buried in the pit. I approached him, asked if it was homework, and he reluctantly said it was, but he didn’t want to do it. I told him if he cranked it out he would be finished at the same time I was and then we could hang out. Now usually getting my son to complete his homework is more excruciating than a root canal with no meds. To my surprise, he plopped down at the table and got right to work! He took his time to ensure he did everything correct, but he got it done without me having to plead, persuade, guide, and sit right next to him. I knew there had to be catch.  

Once we got into the cave he said that he only wanted to watch me play Punch Out! and get to Mr. Dream. I tried to convince him that we should play something together, start a new file on his new Super Mario Bros. Deluxe game, but he insisted on watching me live my boxing dreams out through Little Mac. Again, I knew he was up to something and soon I would figure it out.  

As I ducked, weaved, and jabbed me way through each circuit, my son munched on popcorn and talked to me about video games, school, and life in general. We laughed, smiled, and had a great time talking about everything, anything, and nothing. It was then I finally realized his what he was up to. 

It did not matter what my son and I did together. All my son wanted was to spend time with me.  
Kids do not care what they do with the adults in their lives, what matters to them is that they are WITH them.  

I began to think about many of our students, students that don’t have parents and families that can, or are able to, spend quality time with. That’s where we, as educators, come in. Sit down and take an inventory of how many moments you have throughout your day where you can talk with a student. I challenge you to give up one lunch a week to either eat with a table of students or invite them to eat with you in your classroom. Instead of checking your email or texts when students are working on a task, go chat with some. At recess, get involved, play a game, draw with chalk and get some conversations going.  

Many of our students don’t have an adult outside of school who is able to give them undivided attention. As an educator you can make that difference for kids. Take advantage of this, don’t let moments slip by, and be their difference maker! 

2 comments:

  1. Yes! This is so important! As weird as I looked last Friday with my pug stuffed animal (even though it was "A" for animal day), my first grade lunch/recess group was super thrilled that I brought something to share with them. Puglie Pug even went to recess and went on the slide. I've decided to keep him at school for a little bit longer, because it's so great to see the students be actual kids when they see him... to play and interact with him and just be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Playing is so important, not only for kids to see us doing it, but for our mental health!

    ReplyDelete