Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Running Into the Storm - April 2, 2019

Running Into the Storm 
By, Michael Earnshaw 
April 2, 2019 
@mearnshaw158 

Image result for running in a storm
  
Running has always been an outlet for me. Ever since I was young, I’ve always enjoyed lacing up, throwing my headphones on, and pounding the pavement. It was always a release, an escape, from everything in my life. It was me, my music, and my thoughts, I was in complete control. Poor choices were gone. Hurt placed on others was behind me. The chains from addictions and vices were broken free. Running let me be who I was.   

I’ve had my ups and downs, my rolling meadows, throughout my running career. Last night I got out for a quick run before putting my kids down for bed. I chose an old playlist from when I was training for my first marathon, back in 2013. This brought back a flood of memories from that time. I really dialed in my training and was focused with my diet. By the end of the 20 weeks I was in the best shape of my life, physically. Mentally was a completely different story.  

As the old tunes danced through my ears into my memory bank, I began to realize my entire life I’ve been looking at running in the wrong light. Running to me has always been an escape route from the prison I locked myself into. I remember in 2013 the days after my long runs I was always left feeling depressed and down. At the time I thought it was from the stress I put on my body. Last night I understood it’s because I was using running, especially my long runs, to escape from my problems in the moment.  

I need to shift my thinking, my mindset, when it comes to running. Instead of running away from problems, from running away from myself, I need to look at it as running towards a goal, running towards solutions. The miles that I spend with the streets are precious. I now know I must acknowledge what I need to address in my life during my runs and problem solve. This practice is going to have a much more positive influence on the school I lead, the relationships I’ve built, and the family I love.  

Instead of running away from the storm with my head down, I’ve turned around and my head is held high as I enter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment